Sunday, September 9, 2012

Blue Onion

Every Day Matters Challenge #31 - Draw something you collect & #43 - Draw something china or ceramic. Double Journal page, 8" x 10" pencil sketch, colored pencil. 9-9-12.
I have been collecting Blue Onion China since high school, when I got a set of dinner ware at a garage sale. I loved the graphic blue and white. It is not to be confused with blue willow, the blue onion is a traditional Jacobean pattern, not oriental. Many manufactures have made it over the years in varying quality. It has also been called Blue Danube, and Blue Nordic. I have collected most of it from garage sales and antique stores, the best pieces have pieced edges. I have vases, tea & coffee pots, spice sets, bells, platters, egg cups, canisters, tureens, match boxes, cheese boards, candlestick holders, trinket boxes with lids, as well as a dinner service for 12+. Not all of it matches exactly, different manufactures, but it all has the tree of life, with various flowers, and the large double leaf at the base. Most have blue onions on them as well for a decorative element. My favorite tea is red Rose decaf, and I collaged a few tea tags at the top also.

No comments:

Post a Comment