Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bunchberry & Hydrangea

6" x 8" drawing paper, pencil sketch, watercolor paints, Pigma pen, Aug. 11, 2012
6" x 8" drawing paper, pencil sketch, colored pencil, Pigma pen, Aug. 12, 2012
The bunchberry drawing is from an old painting book, line drawings for the sketch, I copied it except I put the berries on the left instead of the right. I like the way I painted the white flower, with just a hint of purple, and I hope the leaves look deeply ridged. I am very happy with this drawing, it is one of my favorites so far. The lace cap hydrangea is journaled on the back, and I learned I need thicker paper, like the watercolor paper, because the writing has shadowed through to the front. :( "Hydrangea, need frequent watering or the leaves will wilt, the deer like to eat them, but not the leaves so much. It is not their first choice. The large petals are really "brachs," colored leaves and the real flowers are the small buds in the center. You can change the colors of the flowers by adding acidity and other minerals to the soil. People used to bury tin cans around the bush to make the flowers more blue. Mine are a pinky lavender. Cut back the green stems to the woody growth to keep in shape or it can get quiet large, especially in cooler coastal areas" I drew it from life, sitting on the bench in the shade of our large maple tree. I think I got the perspective well enough, but wished I'd used watercolor pencil for a brighter smoother coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment